Saturday 19 July 2014

Raindrops keep falling on my pond


At last, after what's felt like days and days of threatening, it has finally rained today. My pond was getting a little low and I was running out of saved rainwater to top it up with. When I say 'saved' that sounds a bit planned - what I mean is that we have a home-brewing bucket standing in the garden that had filled up with rainwater and which has come in very handy.  I can't remember how the home-brewing bucket came to be in the garden but there you go. 

I was getting concerned for the one or more frogs and the taddies, assuming there any left. I know the toad is okay because I heard a bizarre squealing noise from under a plant whenever the Small Cat extended a tentative paw under it. Small Cat looked appalled and disconcerted, and seemed quite relieved to come back into the house.

Wet buddleia

My Beloved is away at a (motor)bike forum barbecue this weekend, so it's just me and the kids at home. Today, naturally then, was the day that the Boy, who is never ill in term time and has three Perfect Attendance medals to show for it, got a sickness bug. As he's so rarely unwell he's completely clueless about illness and looked as appalled as the Small Cat and twice as helpless.  In fact he didn't actually get round to being sick. He clutched an empty washing up bowl for an hour and a half, whimpering occasionally, and eventually took himself off to bed and fell asleep for three-quarters of an hour. Then woke up almost back to normal. Kids are weird.  I'm quite relieved. What has surprised me about being a parent is that I can deal with vomit with remarkably little queasiness or distress of my own. However the Large Cat threw up while sitting on the windowsill the other night - and there is a radiator underneath the windowsill, and I'm sure you can fill in the blanks. Large Cat certainly did. So the less vomit the better this week really.

This evening I am entertaining myself. I have been knitting and watching a West Wing DVD. It's all very retro.







3 comments:

HWIT BLOGG said...

Lovely blog and a lovely post...
Take care!
Titti

Mrs. Micawber said...

Glad the Boy is better - and that he didn't hurl! Though sometimes when you're feeling like that it's almost a relief to get it out and over with....

"Motorbike barbecue forum" are three words I've never heard strung together before. It sounds fascinating. :)

Annie Cholewa said...

I found the kettle in the garden the other day. I think it might have been down to the husband, but I choose to blame the Borrowers. I'm sure we have some, they live in an under the house metropolis made from Bic biros, odd socks and paper clips.

(Now hoping that you've heard of The Borrowers and don't decide I'm crazy!)