Saturday, 28 February 2015
A few weeks ago I was tidying up and found some embroidery I was doing back in our re-enactment days, pre-children. It was intended as decoration to go round the cuffs of my green linen Viking/mediaeval dress, so I could be a bit posher. What I've learned as a dyer since then of course is that naturally dyed green is an elusive beast even on wool, and linen I imagine would be even more difficult, so as authenticity goes it wasn't that great, but we were limited in what we could get back then.
Anyway, I rather thought this bit of unfinished embroidery had got lost at some point over the years and through various house-moves so I was quite pleased to find it again, even if it was a bit crumpled and grubby. So I gave it a wash:
I quite like the way it looked damp and crumpled in the sunlight.
Eventually it dried out and I ironed it very carefully. I'm really not much of an embroiderer so this is probably the pinnacle of my achievements, but even looking at it now I'm quite pleased with how neat it was. I have no idea what to do with it now though!