Thursday 31 January 2019

Calm January


My aim for January was for it to be relatively calm. It hasn't really been calm of course - life tends towards busy after all, but after the frenzy that was December it was nice to calm down a bit.

It was very cold today, by the standards of this neck of the woods - my car said it was -7°C, and it felt it. But it was (mostly) clear and bright and it was my day off so I went for a quick walk, and the colours were lovely. Very soothing. It's a funny thing, but the difference between -1 or -2 and chillier numbers like -6 or -7 seems really palpable. Freezing, is well, freezing, but in a sort of 'hat and gloves will sort it' kind of way, whereas today was definitely 'could be doing with thermals under my clothes, oh my god my thighs have gone numb' kind of weather. In fact I got a bit chilled trying to get one of the cats back in this evening and have been wearing a bobble-hat and scarf ever since...


I read something yesterday about enjoying January and appreciating the calmer colours after the glitter/tinsel/fairy-lights of December, and thought that perhaps I approach January in the wrong way, trying to plough through it. I always try to enjoy what I can but maybe I should try to appreciate its inherent Januaryness in some way. Still, a bit late now - a thought for next year maybe!

1 comment:

Mrs. Micawber said...

Lovely frost photo.

That's an interesting take on January. I tend to keep the tinsel and lights up through a good part of January (in fact I only took town the Christmas tree today), because life seems kind of blank without them, and they cheer up the dark winter nights. (Although this last Christmas the decorations were very minimal - I did something I've wanted to do for years and had only lights on the tree.)

It was so cold last week where we live that getting back up to freezing temps this weekend felt positively balmy! But yes, there is a definite tipping point where the cold starts to soak in and extra layers become necessary.

Happy February!