Thursday 17 April 2014

Ta-da!

 Ta-da! 
(For those who saw the original picture, I've changed it because Miss M says she looks 'ridiculous' in it - she doesn't of course but as she's old enough to care, I've cropped it)

Today I made a skirt for Miss M. With hems and everything. And a French seam in fact. Urgh, I've got a thumping headache here so I might be a little incoherent, but here's the gist. I'm following in the footsteps of Marianne of Ladybird Diaries who has made several for her own Miss M and swears they are easy.  I'm following the same instructions she used, which are the Easy-Peasy Skirts tutorial from Punkin Patterns.  I did more ironing today than I've done all year (I'm not big on ironing) - in fact I spent more time on the ironing than on the sewing which for once went like a dream. Miss M claims she cast 'reparo' on the sewing-machine last night, which was helpful - also I cleaned the guts of the sewing-machine out again. Getting quite quick at that now!

I don't remember ironing in the sewing class at school. Maybe they didn't trust us with hot metal. I certainly wouldn't have trusted us. But pressing everything does seem to make the fabric so much more manageable, so I'm feeling more confident with this sewing lark. 


Very fortunately Miss M seems to really like her new skirt and would like me to make more for her. Last summer I had a real problem getting her a lightweight skirt for the summer - no such problem this year!

2 comments:

Mrs. Micawber said...

She and it are adorable - nice work with the iron and the sewing machine! I never liked pressing either, but you're right - it does seem to tame the fabric.

Hope the headache gets better quickly.

Peeriemoot said...

Thank you! She likes it so much that we've ordered more fabric for a couple more skirts. I'll get used to this ironing malarkey yet :-D. My mother-in-law pointed out that we probably pinned and tacked everything at school. I think pressing works much better!