Thursday 13 March 2014

Wonkiness

It's all going wonky. I may need the collective wisdom of the crochet bloggy world.


This is yesterday's wonky thing. Although I can just about do a granny square, I've never got the hang of going back and fore, so that was my aim this week. The start, at the bottom, was (UK) doubles. Then I realised I wasn't putting the hook through both bits at the top of the stitch (the 'v' on its side) and sorted that after which it went a bit straighter. Then I switched to trebles and didn't notice for ages that I was straying into trapezium territory again. Straying? I'd invaded trapezium airspace big time!

So I ripped it all out and started again, doing trebles this time, but I'm still getting distortion - is that just because of the tension of the chain row at the start? Or am I going wonky again? It looks to me as if it would be fairly parallel at the sides if the bottom edge were pulled straight, but that may be wishful thinking.

Frustratingly google and youtube have not been much help here - there loads of how-to's for stitches and so on but not much that I can find on recognising, diagnosing and rectifying mistakes. I only found one website addressing the trapezium/trapezoid issue, and it suggested that most people's crochet gets wider not narrower! So I'm weird. Hmm.

Help me Obi Blog Kenobi, you're my only hope!  *flicker

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes! I used to miss the last stitch, which of course would make my work narrower. The last stitch can be kind of hidden, and even towards the side, so it's easy to miss. Try a small swatch of 10 stitches or so, and count the stitches as you go along, making sure you have the same number each row. That helped me.

Peeriemoot said...

Brilliant - thank you Anon, will try that :-). I'm never quite sure if I'm getting the last stitch or not so that could well be it!

Anonymous said...

Though my first thought was that you might be missing the last stitch (since that was my problem), it occurred to me that you could be missing the first stitch. Or even both, if the narrowing is drastic enough. I tried to find a good picture of how to fix this, but as you said, there surprisingly wasn't anything good online! Maybe check/ask on Ravelry?

Peeriemoot said...

Thank you Anon, I'm very grateful for your help - I seem to have got it now! I double-checked the first stitch and that seems ok. I've pretty much got the hang of it now, as long as I chase the last stitch down the side I'm alright!