Wednesday 22 June 2011

cosiness

Oddly enough I haven't done much knitting with the results of my dyeing efforts. I do plan to do some Fair Isle mitts with them, so really the more shades I have to work with the more fun it'll be - I tell myself I'm building up a decent palette! But actually it's mostly that I have various other things to finish first - 'I've started so I'll finish' is not a phrase associated with me, more like 'I've started so, oooh, look, something shiny..'! I did break into my own colours though to do a couple of squares for the Ursula's Donegal blanket project organised by Antje (of the Yarn Cake) - she wanted colours associated with the countryside of Donegal and though the nearest I've been to Donegal is Connemara (i.e. not particularly near at all) Antje had done a mood-board to give people an idea of colours. I thought the onion dye and the blackberry one might suit so knitted up a couple of squares, and very enjoyable they were too. I hope the colours fit in with all the others she received - apparently she got enough squares for two blankets so that's brilliant!

On the subject of dyeing I'm really excited that the anthemis tinctoria I've been growing from seed have survived been chucked around in a gale and now they've been planted out in various places they're thriving - the ones in the pot are doing particularly well:


Yesterday was the longest day in the northern hemisphere - it also had a bloody good try at being the wettest day in my neck of the woods.


I went out to my knitting group and get Quite Wet on the way and Thoroughly Drenched on the way back.


I know it doesn't look much, but believe me it was bucketing down. But, hey! Still light!
My shoes and bag are still drying out, and my jeans are in the wash. So I didn't feel too silly working on the thick cosy sock after all!

Oooh, I've just noticed the 'labels' thing on blogger. I'll give it a try - bet I get bored with it quickly though!

No comments: