Sunday 27 December 2020

Nollaig Chridheil! God Jul! Merry Midwinter Eating & Drinking Festival! And so forth..

 

The Boy and I went for a walk today to take advantage of daylight and stuff (I went for a walk yesterday, during 'daylight' hours but it was cloudy, wet and windy so the daylight was somewhat notional), and it was lovely - cold, bright, fresh, crisp, all those wintry words that frequently don't apply during a Scottish winter. Well, cold does, but often it's wind-chill rather than actual cold.  It snowed a little over night, just a sprinkling, and some areas had melted where the sun had been shining, in other patches it hung on in the shade, and it was quite icy in places.  So, vitamin D topped up, exercise achieved.  Then back home to veg out some more!



Vegging out involves a certain amount of curling up with a coffee, a chocolate orange, and a book. These are my Christmas books this year - one knitting book (thank you, dear brother!), and three books on historic clothing (thank you dear parents and husband!). All gorgeous and fascinating!  As mentioned before, clothing history is something I've got back into this year, and these books are just full of information and pictures of details and absolute gorgeousness. My own style is scruffy -  very much jeans, t-shirt, jumper (sweater, that is, for the North Americans) or cardi/hoody if it's cool - so worlds away from the clothes I'm looking at and admiring, but it's not about fancying myself a Disney princess (howling with laughter at the very thought..), it's about how stuff was made, the work and skill and talent that went into it.  I'll stop enthusing now, but honestly these books are just amazing. 


So I'm going to wander off and make another coffee now - I hope everyone's having a peaceful time and staying safe!

No comments: